I realized today that I hate black friday, and I am really struggling with the Christmas season more and more. Not because I am a Scrooge. But, I blame it on society, really. I always get a little down around Christmas time because it just annoys me every time I realize how consumer driven everything is becoming, and how the true meaning is being lost more and more. Now stores are opening at midnight? I could barely even stay awake until then last night. Sure, I like to buy stuff, but this is all just getting out of hand. I guess what really did it for me was reading an article about "the great blizzard of 2010" and finding a line somewhere within it to the effect of, 'it's going to be dangerously cold for both the homeless and the black friday shoppers' does that not disgust you and make you want to cry?
This Christmas season (or whatever you celebrate in the winter time) do something kind for someone else, donate money to a charity if you can, shovel someone's driveway, give someone a hug, tell someone you love them, make someone cookies, write someone a letter. Let us not forget the true meaning of Christmas this year.
Good call. Agree agree agree.
ReplyDelete